Body Contouring After Massive Weight Loss
Weight loss has many benefits. In many cases it even improves Hypertension and Diabetes. However, it may also lead to skin and tissues that lack the elasticity to conform to the reduced body size. This result can leave a person feeling uncomfortable, with not just how they look, but also on how they feel physically.
As a result of this weight loss, skin that was extremely stretched is abruptly unsupported.
- The upper arms may appear loose and droopy
- The breasts may appear to be flat with the nipples pointing down
- The abdominal area may continue along the side of the body and into the lower back area which leads to an apron-like flap
- Areas like the buttocks, groin, and thighs, may sag to create hanging areas of skin.
Overall, the final stage of the massive weight loss is body contouring. This procedure will lead to a more normal appearance, smoother contours, and a more proportioned body.
Body contouring after massive weight loss removes excess skin and fat while improving the shape of the underlying support tissue. The result is a more normal appearance with smoother contours.
Body contouring procedures may include
- Tummy tuck: for hanging skin and fat. Paniculectomy may be covered by insurance under certain circumstances depending on your insurance policy. The circumstances include weight loss of over a 100 lbs, Pannus below the groin line, recurrent rash, etc. Contact your insurance carrier to determine what constitutes medical necessity. Learn more...
- Breast lift: for flat and saggy breasts. Learn more...
- Lower body lifts: sagging of the abdomen, buttocks, groin and outer thighs
- Medial thigh lift: sagging of the inner, outer and mid thigh
- Brachioplasty (arm lift) Learn more...
- Facelift Learn More...
A body lift is able to benefit the underlying tissues that support the fat and skin by improving their overall shape and tone. Because of poor tissue elasticity, it’s very common to have excess sagging skin and fat. However, a body lift can eliminate that problem and lead to a firmer, more rejuvenated body contour. Another added benefit of a body lift is that it can treat a condition known as cellulite, in which the patient has a dimpled or irregular skin surface.
These areas may be included in a body lift:
- The abdominal area which can be local or extend around the sides as well as the lower region of the back
- The buttocks area which may be an uneven shape, lower, or flatter than desired
- The groin area which might be drooping near the inner thigh
- Multiple thigh areas such as the inner, outer, circumferential, or even posterior thigh