It is quite common after pregnancy and childbearing that the breasts and abdomen lose their shape. The breasts lose their fullness and the abdominal skin become stretched, often with separation of the abdominal muscles. Mommy Makeover is a term used for a type of plastic surgery that addresses both the breast and abdomen and maybe other parts of the body to help a woman become closer to her pre-pregnancy state.
breast lift and Tummy Tuck
If patients seek to impact stretch-out and saggy skin, muscles and fat that typically occur after childbirth then these procedures will address their needs. They are the most common surgeries as they can effectively improve a woman's body. Mommy Makeovers combine a variety of surgeries such as tummy tuck and breast lift, which are the most common, or mini tummy tuck and breast augmentation. The combination of procedures is highly dependent on the patient.
Returning to your pre-pregnancy weight may not be enough. Skin, muscles and fat in the abdominal region may sag due to being stretched out and damaged. No matter how many sit-ups you do, it may not get better. A tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is a cosmetic procedure that flattens your abdomen by removing extra fat and skin and tightens muscles in your abdominal wall.
A very complex but commonly used cosmetic surgery is called Mastopexy. This breast enhancement procedure can change the shape of sagging breasts by raising and reshaping. Breast lifts can actually be done without the use of breast implants depending on the unique situation of each individual patient. After giving birth, not every woman requires a breast lift in conjunction with a tummy tuck. There are some cases where all that is needed is liposuction and/or a breast augmentation to satisfy their personal needs.
To discuss your options, schedule a consultation with Dr. Alfred Sofer.
Advantages of Mommy Makeover:
- Recover one time for both procedures
- Reduce cost by reducing the OR and anesthesia time
Mommy Makeover - Dr. Sofer's Approach
Your body is fully evaluated and a plan of surgery is tailored to your body. It is usually best to wait at least 9 months to one year after pregnancy to proceed with Mommy Makeover.
Duration of a Mommy Makeover Surgery
The surgery will last 4-5.5 hours. The time is determined by the type of procedure.
Patients will receive anesthesia at a hospital or accredited surgical facility. It will be provided by a board certified anesthesiologist. It will be general anesthesia.
Recovery after a Mommy Makeover
- 3-4 recovery room hours; overnight stay in the hospital may be necessary
- 3 days with pain medications and muscle relaxants to address discomfort post-surgery
- 10-14 days to resume your everyday activities
- 4-6 weeks to resume your exercise routine
Cost of a Mommy Makeover
Here is a rough breakdown of the fees:
- Initial consultation with the doctor and nurses (1 Hour)
- Pre-op appointment to review paperwork and gathering information regarding medication and follow up appointments where photographs are usually taken at the implant selection. (1-2 Hours)
- The surgery's anesthesia
- Garments that may or may not be included
- Operating room fee that comprises room fee, equipment and staff
- Plastic surgeon surgery fee
- 24-hour on-call surgeon
- All follow-up visits (there are approximately 3-6 15-30 minute visits)
- Bandages and equipment used during follow up visits
- Post-op photographs
There are some factors that change the cost of surgery.
- Geography: Where you live and cost of living
- Surgical Time: This individual factor is relevant in larger surgeries including mommy makeovers.
- Skill: Your doctor's skills
- Implants: Dependent upon the selected implant
CareCredit financing is also an option... Learn More
Earn points for rewards in the future...Learn More