A common concern for patients preparing for a tummy tuck or mommy makeover surgery is, “How do I prevent my kids from jumping all over me after surgery?”. The short answer “PLAN”. Planning for your surgery is one of the most important steps and how well you plan, will determine your experience! Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Timing! Choosing the right time for everyone, can be hard. Some rearranging maybe required.
- Get thing in order at home. Laundry, housekeeping, groceries, meal planning, childcare, rides to and from kids activities…. For at least 1 or 2 weeks.
- You will need a ride to and from the surgery center or hospital. I recommend that this person stay for the duration of the procedure or be available by phone.
- Look into kids activities for the next 2 weeks, and try to have them involved in activities to burning off some energy. This way when they are home they aren’t using you as a jungle gym.
- For the 1st 24 hours after surgery you need someone with “you“. Make arrangements for childcare and mommy care.
- Set up and define your space. You will need rest, fluids, food…. Set up a sleeping area that will have some basic things. (Near the bathroom) Pillows, a small table for your medications, a garbage, pen and paper and a large water bottle. (Buy some hydrating drinks. It’s common to feel thirsty after surgery)
- When you take your first shower, I recommend someone be there. Don’t make the shower too hot. Falls can happen, so precautions need to be taken.
Always have a charged phone and your plastic surgeons number available in case you have any concerns!