IPL Treatment Regimen
Prior to Treatment please observe the following:
- On the day of treatment please keep the area of treatment clean. Do Not apply makeup to face. Do not apply lotion, creams, or deodorant. These can obstruct or refract Intense light negatively.
- Avoid Depilatory creams, Retin-A, Alphahydroxy acid, Glycolic acid, Bleaching treatments or Astringents for at least 2 week prior to treatment.
- Avoid Antibiotics for at least 10 days prior to treatment.
- Avoid Waxing, Plucking, Electrolysis, bleaching or threading for at least 3 weeks prior to treatment.
- Avoid Sun exposure, Tanning beds, and spray tans for 4 weeks prior to treatment. Wear an SPF of 30 (applied thickly) or higher and cover the area to be treated with clothing while out in the sun.
- Topical anesthetic can be applied for comfort prior to treatment.
What can be Expected in the hours, days, and weeks following your IPL:
- Pinkness, redness, or itchiness. The Intense Pulse light has likely irritated your skin a little bit. Residual itchiness or pinkness might persist for 24-72 hours. Some patients describe the sensation as feeling like a sun burn. If it lasts longer than that, inform your provider; this may very well be normal, but it’s worth calling to ask. Aloe, Ice, and hydrocortisone 1% may be applied for comfort as directed.
After the Treatment here are some things that you can do to help the process of skin rejuvenation be most effective:
- Exfoliate. Wash area gently for 3 days and do not scrub. One week after the treatment, use an exfoliating scrub or a washcloth in the shower on the area where you had hair removed. The reason for this is to allow the shedding process to happen unhindered by dead skin cells and other debris. You don’t want to irritate your skin, so be gentle!
- Makeup may be applied to the area if no irritation exists.
- Continue to use sunscreen You want your skin to be as light as possible during your treatments, so don’t go tanning or forget sunscreen. Also, a sunburn will irritate your skin in addition to the irritation caused by the laser, so be careful. Use SPF 30 sunscreen for two weeks before and after each treatment, and cover exposed treatment area.
- Avoid Skin Care treatments. No peels, skincare treatments, or waxing for two weeks after IPL treatments.
- Avoid picking or scratching the treated area; purchase and use only products you’ve discussed with your technician.
- Avoid exercise for 12-24 hours after treatment to avoid folliculitis.
- There are no restrictions on bathing except treat skin gently, no hot water for 24 hours; treat like a sunburn.
- Keep track of any medications taken. If you need to go on prescription, or antibiotics, over-the-counter, or herbal medication, talk to an associate at the Plastic Surgery Center of Fairfield, about your IPL treatments. Also, call us with any changes. Your next appointment can always be rescheduled if necessary.
- Your technician will advise you when to follow up for the most accurate results which are usually 4-6 weeks. Please remember 2-4 minimum treatments are recommend but more treatments are usually necessary to achieve maximal rejuvenation. There is no guarantee for results.
Remember to ask us with any questions or concerns that you may have. If something doesn’t feel right after treatment, then don’t hesitate to call and ask.