Over the last few years, you’ve probably noticed an emerging trend toward “natural.” There’s a newfound interest in keeping things as real and close to their original form as possible, from food to cosmetics. Interestingly, I’ve also seen this trend expand to plastic surgery. The women who see me for breast augmentation here in Fairfield, CT, also have an interest in pursuing results that are toned down and subtle.
In fact, the best breast augmentation results aren’t the ones that “scream.” Instead, they whisper—and complement each woman’s natural contours, enhancing the beauty that’s already there. Just ask celebrities like Taylor Swift and Jessica Alba, both rumored to have undergone “minor” breast enhancement procedures to boost—rather than override—what they already have.
Going smaller has some unexpected benefits, too:
- More natural shape and feel: This is the primary reason why patients pursue surgery with smaller implants. Often, they simply want to feel more feminine or fill out their favorite clothes better—it’s not always about turning heads. Smaller implants both look and feel more natural and often give patients the little boost they want.
- Smaller incisions: Typically, especially when using silicone implants, the size of the incisions corresponds to the size of the implants. Although breast augmentation is not known for creating very conspicuous incisions, the use of a smaller incision is an appealing idea for many patients.
- Fewer risks: Often, the breast augmentation procedure becomes more technically challenging when very large implants are used. Using smaller implants can result in a reduced risk of certain complications and even a more comfortable, easier recuperation. This is because placing smaller implants doesn’t require as much tissue displacement as placing larger implants does. It also takes less time for the body to “adjust” after small implants are placed.
- Better long-term outcomes: The reduced risks don’t stop after the immediate recuperation time is over. If you have smaller implants, you can also avoid some problems associated with aging and older breast implants. These include pain in the back and shoulders, drooping, and sagging breasts.
- More flexibility: Breasts that are larger than your natural ones, yet still on the smaller side, can make it easy to engage in your favorite activities. This is especially true if you live an active lifestyle. Smaller breasts can make it easier to find gear that fits, and it can also make it more enjoyable to engage in certain activities. While implants can allow you to enjoy a more varied wardrobe, smaller implants make it easy to cover up when necessary but still look great in more revealing fashions.
Ultimately, the implant size you choose is up to you. I invite you to browse my gallery of breast augmentation before-and-after photos to see the variety that’s possible, so you can start planning your own transformation.
If you are interested to learn more about your potential with breast augmentation, contact us online to schedule a consultation or call us at (203) 336-9862 to schedule an appointment.