At Plastic Surgery Center of Fairfield, CT, Mommy Makeover is a term we use to refer to a combination of plastic surgery procedures designed to address the breasts, abdomen, or other parts of the body, with the common goal of helping a woman regain her pre-pregnancy figure. It is quite common after pregnancy and childbirth for the breasts and abdomen to lose their shape. The breasts lose fullness, the abdominal skin becomes stretched, and the abdominal muscles often separate. Dr. Sofer can customize a combination procedure to correct these pregnancy-related changes in one operation.
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Alfred Sofer can help you determine if a Mommy Makeover is the right option for your needs. Request your consultation online or call (203) 336-9862 to schedule your appointment.
View our photo gallery and see real results from our mommy makeover patients.
Dr. Sofer’s Approach
A woman interested in a Mommy Makeover typically wants to address her breasts with either a breast augmentation or breast lift, and also her abdomen with liposuction or a tummy tuck. Dr. Sofer will evaluate whether or not you are a good candidate for a Mommy Makeover and develop a surgical plan tailored to your body. It is usually best to wait at least 9 months to 1 year after delivery before proceeding with your Mommy Makeover.
Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck
If patients want to improve loose skin, muscles, and fat after childbirth, these procedures will address their needs. A breast lift and tummy tuck are the most common surgeries because they can reliably improve a woman’s body. The combination of procedures is highly dependent on the patient.
- Tummy Tuck
Returning to your pre-pregnancy weight may not be enough. Skin, muscles, and fat in the abdominal region may sag due to being stretched out and damaged. No matter how many sit-ups you do, it may not improve. A tummy tuck is a cosmetic procedure that flattens your abdomen by removing extra fat and skin and tightening muscles in your abdominal wall.
- Breast Lift
A very complex but commonly used cosmetic surgery is called mastopexy, or breast lift. This breast enhancement procedure can change the shape of sagging breasts by raising and reshaping the skin and tissue. Breast lifts can actually be done without the use of breast implants in some cases, depending on the unique situation of each individual patient. After giving birth, not every woman requires a breast lift in conjunction with a tummy tuck. There are some cases in which liposuction and/or a breast augmentation can satisfy their cosmetic needs.
Advantages of a Mommy Makeover
- One recovery for both procedures
- Reduced cost due to reduced operating room and anesthesia time
Your body is fully evaluated and a plan of surgery is tailored to your body. It is usually best to wait at least 9 months to one year after delivery to proceed with Mommy Makeover.
Duration of a Mommy Makeover Surgery
The surgery will last 4 to 5.5 hours. The time is determined by the type of procedure.
Dr. Sofer's Photo GalleryIndividual results may vary.
Patients will receive general anesthesia at a hospital or accredited surgical facility. It will be provided by a board-certified anesthesiologist.
Recovery After a Mommy Makeover
Experiences vary after Mommy Makeover surgery. In general, expect recovery to proceed as follows:
- 3 to 4 recovery room hours; overnight stay in the hospital may be necessary
- 3 days with pain medications and muscle relaxants to address discomfort post-surgery
- 10 to 14 days to resume your everyday activities
- 4 to 6 weeks to resume your exercise routine
Cost of a Mommy Makeover
Generally, the associated fees may include:
- Initial consultation with the doctor and nurses (1 hour)
- Preoperative appointment to review paperwork and gather information regarding medication; follow-up appointments (1 to 2 hours) where photographs are usually taken and implants are selected (if applicable)
- General anesthesia
- Garments that may or may not be included
- Operating room fee that includes room fee, equipment and staff
- Plastic surgeon fee
- 24-hour, on-call surgeon
- All follow-up visits (approximately 3 to 6 visits at 15 to 30 minutes each)
- Bandages and equipment used during follow-up visits
- Postoperative photographs
Certain factors influence fees and pricing among plastic surgery practices, including:
- Geography (where you live/cost of living)
- Surgical time (this is particularly relevant in larger surgeries including Mommy Makeovers)
- The skill of your doctor
- Implant choice
Making sure that your procedure is financially affordable is important to us. That’s why we offer convenient financing with CareCredit®. You can also earn points for future rewards on your next treatment.