Breast Reduction for Men
Gynecomastia is the over development or enlargement of men’s breast tissue and can occur at any age. It can result from hormonal changes, heredity conditions, disease or the use of certain drugs.
Gynecomastia has been known to cause emotional discomfort and impair self-confidence. Some men may even avoid certain physical activities and intimacy simply to hide their condition.
View our photo gallery and see real results from our patients.
Gynecomastia is characterized by the following:
- Excess localized fat
- Excess glandular tissue development
- A combination of both excess fat and glandular tissue
- Gynecomastia may be present unilaterally (one breast) or bilaterally (both breasts)
Dr. Alfred Sofer has preformed many male breast reductions. The two ways to reduce gynecomastia are by a surgical excision or liposuction depending on the degree of gynecomastia. Dr. Sofer uses powered assisted liposuction (PAL). This system is uniquely qualified to penetrate and target this tissue. PAL uses a unique cannula which uses tiny, rapid vibrations to break up cells of fat to be quickly suctioned out of the treated area. Dr. Sofer’s use of PAL results in better outcomes, a more safe procedure and quick recovery in addition to removing more fat in less time. PAL is performed with the tumescent liposuction technique where the treatment area is injected with an anesthetic liquid for smoother fat transfer through the cannula and out of the treated area.
Dr. Sofer’s Breast Reduction for Men Approach
The consultation will depend upon your degree and type of gynecomastia. In addition, there will be a discussion on direct surgical excision versus liposuction.
Individual results may vary.
Duration of breast reduction surgery for men
The degree of gynecomastia will determine surgery time, which is typically 1.5–2.5 hours.
General anesthesia is provided. Patients will go to an accredited surgical facility or a hospital to be treated by a board certified anesthesiologist.
Recovery from breast reduction for men
While recovery varies between patients, it generally follows the following timeline:
- 1–2 hours in the recovery room
- 3 days needed to manage surgical discomfort with pain medications and muscle relaxants
- 10–14 days to resume daily living activities
- 4–6 weeks to resume full exercise
Cost of breast reduction for men
Plastic Surgery Cost Breakdown: These costs usually include a one time fee that includes everything from start to finish. Here is a rough breakdown of the fees:
- Initial consultation with the doctor and nurses (1 Hour)
- Pre-op appointment to review paperwork and gathering information regarding medication and follow up appointments. Photos are usually taken at the implant selection. (1-2 Hours)
- Surgery fee for your plastic surgeon
- Anesthesia for your surgery
- Operating room fee (equipment, staff and room fee)
- Garments (may or may not be included)
- All follow-up visits (Usually 3–6 visits, 15–30 min each)
- Post-op photos
- Bandages and equipment used during follow up visits
- 24-hour on-call surgeon
We offer financing with CareCredit… Learn More
You will also earn points for future rewards… Learn More